News
Kenya to Resume Police Recruitment in September After Three-Year Freeze
NAIROBI, Kenya – The National Police Service will recruit new officers in September, ending a three-year pause brought about by financial constraints. Inspector General of Police Douglas Kanja said the exercise will address a shortfall of about 5,000 officers and move the country closer to the United Nations’ recommended police-to-population ratio of 1:450.
Speaking on Sunday, Kanja noted that the last recruitment was held in 2022, with graduates joining the service in 2023. Since then, the ranks have been depleted by resignations, dismissals, retirements, and deaths, leaving officers stretched thin. He warned that the shortage has hampered the fight against crimes ranging from cattle rustling and banditry to terrorism, human trafficking, drug smuggling, and violent robberies.
The National Police Service Commission has developed a secure digital recruitment platform intended to seal corruption loopholes. However, Kanja said the system will not be used this year, explaining that it must first undergo public participation and other procedures before being rolled out.
Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen has promised significant changes to make the recruitment fair and transparent. These include shifting medical examinations to police training schools to reduce the risk of bribery, requiring all activities to conclude by 4:00 pm, posting the names of successful applicants at each recruitment centre, and having independent observers drawn from religious groups, civil society, and local communities present at every stage.
Murkomen added that the exercise will be spread over several days instead of being concluded in one day. He said this will give applicants a fair chance while reducing opportunities for corruption. Interior Principal Secretary Raymond Omollo encouraged young Kenyans to prepare for the opportunity once official dates are announced, describing it as a chance to serve the country and strengthen national security.
If it goes ahead as planned, the September recruitment will be the largest intake in three years and is expected to significantly boost the country’s overstretched police force.
Kenya Insights allows guest blogging, if you want to be published on Kenya’s most authoritative and accurate blog, have an expose, news TIPS, story angles, human interest stories, drop us an email on [email protected] or via Telegram
-
News1 day agoWhy Ruto’s Favourite Candidate Adan Mohammed Could Be Locked Out of the KRA Top Job
-
Business2 weeks agoSafaricom’s Sh1.4 Billion Reckoning: How Kenya’s Most Profitable Company Stole a Man’s Idea and Got Caught
-
Investigations2 weeks agoDenial Under Duress: The Untold Collapse Threatening David Lagat’s DL Group’s Empire
-
Business2 weeks agoTHE INSURER THAT TOOK YOUR PREMIUM AND FORGOT YOUR NAME: How ICEA Lion Left a Client Begging for Sh7.8 Million Across Four Months
-
Business6 days agoThe Rot Inside Absa: How Bank Insiders Are Looting Nairobi’s Customers
-
Business2 weeks agoBush Air Safaris Founder John Ndiritu Risks Losing Property Over Disputed Loan Claim
-
Business6 days agoThe President’s Helicopter: How Ruto’s Aviation Empire Lands a Historic Airbus Milestone While His Government Writes the Tax Code
-
Africa2 weeks agoStung By West Africa Rejections, France Courts Rest Of Continent at Kenya Summit
