News
Court Detain Murder Suspect Kelvin Kang’ethe For 21 more Days
Murder suspect Kelvin Kang’ethe has 21 days to make his formal application for bail and bond so that the courts can decide whether to release him or not before his extradition proceedings are concluded.
Kang’ethe is wanted in the US for the murder of his lover Margaret Mbitu whose body was found in their car at the Boston International Airport.
Chief Magistrate Lucas Onyina on Wednesday ordered him to file the application accompanied by affidavits after he hired another lawyer to represent him.
Kang’ethe had previously fired his lawyers after a falling out and alleged torture by police and prison officers while in custody.
His new lawyer John Ndengwa Maina had requested more time to receive instructions from the suspect since they met on Wednesday and didn’t have sufficient time.
The lawyer claimed that his client is currently detained unlawfully since the custodial orders issued on February 14 ended on February 29 and the Office of the Directorate of Public Prosecutions (ODPP) didn’t seek an extension of the same.
Kang’ethe was remanded at the Nairobi Area Remand and Allocation Prison pending application for bail after the ODPP requested he be held at the facility, following his escape from Mûthaiga police station where he had earlier been remanded.
His advocate also claimed that prison authorities are holding Kang’ethe at the maximum security side of the prison despite orders that he should be detained at the medium section.
Maina said Kangethe is struggling in prison as he’s always handcuffed even when going to the toilets.
But Onyina said the court cannot revise the detention orders and ordered that Kang’ethe remain at the facility until April 4 when the case will be mentioned for directions.
The suspect, 41, fled from the US after the murder of Mbitu on November 1, 2023.
He was arrested in Nairobi, early in February while leaving a club, after a manhunt, and detained at the Muthaiga Police Station.
Kang’ethe later escaped from the Muthaiga station, where he was to be held for 30 days ahead of possible extradition, under unclear circumstances.
He was re-arrested in Ngong a week later and remanded to the Nairobi Area Remand and Allocation Prison in the Industrial Area by Milimani Chief Magistrate Lucas Onyina.
Kenya Insights allows guest blogging, if you want to be published on Kenya’s most authoritative and accurate blog, have an expose, news TIPS, story angles, human interest stories, drop us an email on [email protected] or via Telegram
-
News20 hours agoWhy Ruto’s Favourite Candidate Adan Mohammed Could Be Locked Out of the KRA Top Job
-
Business1 week agoSafaricom’s Sh1.4 Billion Reckoning: How Kenya’s Most Profitable Company Stole a Man’s Idea and Got Caught
-
Africa2 weeks agoThe $24 Million Heist at the End of the World
-
Investigations1 week agoDenial Under Duress: The Untold Collapse Threatening David Lagat’s DL Group’s Empire
-
Business1 week agoTHE INSURER THAT TOOK YOUR PREMIUM AND FORGOT YOUR NAME: How ICEA Lion Left a Client Begging for Sh7.8 Million Across Four Months
-
Business5 days agoThe Rot Inside Absa: How Bank Insiders Are Looting Nairobi’s Customers
-
Business2 weeks agoBush Air Safaris Founder John Ndiritu Risks Losing Property Over Disputed Loan Claim
-
Business6 days agoThe President’s Helicopter: How Ruto’s Aviation Empire Lands a Historic Airbus Milestone While His Government Writes the Tax Code
