News
High Court Grants Waititu A Sh20 Million Cash Bail
Former Kiambu Governor Ferdinand Waititu has received a partial reprieve after the High Court varied his bail conditions, reducing the amount to Sh20 million pending the determination of his appeal.
The ruling, delivered on Wednesday by Justice Winfrida Okwany, allows Waititu to be released on Sh20 million cash or on two sureties with property each valued at not less than Sh30 million.
The proposed properties will be verified and approved by the court’s Deputy Registrar.
Waititu’s lawyers told the court that their client had faced difficulties in securing the bank guarantee previously ordered as part of his bail.
They argued that more than seven months have passed since the original ruling, and the former county boss has consistently attended court hearings, showing he is not a flight risk.
“The key consideration should be whether Mr Waititu has complied with court appearances and whether the bail conditions remain reasonable under the circumstances,” the defence submitted.
The State opposed the application. Counsel Mwamburi, representing the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), argued that Waititu had not met the legal requirements for a review of the original bail terms.
Mwamburi noted that submissions in the case are set for later this month and that the defence had not presented any new or compelling reasons to justify altering the existing conditions.
The prosecution also questioned the fluctuating nature of the bail request, pointing out that the proposed amount was initially included, later withdrawn, and then reintroduced in the review application. “This change does not meet the threshold for review,” Mwamburi said.
As part of the revised bail terms, Waititu has been ordered to deposit his passport with the court until the appeal process is concluded.
Kenya Insights allows guest blogging, if you want to be published on Kenya’s most authoritative and accurate blog, have an expose, news TIPS, story angles, human interest stories, drop us an email on [email protected] or via Telegram
-
Grapevine1 week agoAlleged Male Lover Claims His Life Is in Danger, Leaks Screenshots and Private Videos Linking SportPesa CEO Ronald Karauri
-
Lifestyle2 weeks agoThe General’s Fall: From Barracks To Bankruptcy As Illness Ravages Karangi’s Memory And Empire
-
Grapevine4 days agoRussian Man’s Secret Sex Recordings Ignite Fury as Questions Mount Over Consent and Easy Pick-Ups in Nairobi
-
Investigations2 weeks agoEpstein Files: Sultan bin Sulayem Bragged on His Closeness to President Uhuru Then His Firm DP World Controversially Won Port Construction in Kenya, Tanzania
-
Investigations2 days agoMulti-Million Dollar Fraud: Three Kenyans Face US Extradition in Massive Cybercrime Conspiracy
-
Investigations1 week agoEpstein’s Girlfriend Ghislaine Maxwell Frequently Visited Kenya As Files Reveal Local Secret Links With The Underage Sex Trafficking Ring
-
News2 weeks agoState Agency Exposes Five Top Names Linked To Poor Building Approvals In Nairobi, Recommends Dismissal After City Hall Probe
-
Business1 week agoM-Gas Pursues Carbon Credit Billions as Koko Networks Wreckage Exposes Market’s Dark Underbelly
