Africa
South Sudan Lifts Social Media Ban
South Sudan government on Monday lifted a ban on social media platforms Facebook and TikTok, a week after it was imposed by a regulatory authority in hope to curb the spread of inflammatory content following violent protests.
Last week, protests sparked by gruesome videos of killings in Sudan’s Al Jazira state erupted in Juba and quickly spread across South Sudan, leading to the deaths of 16 Sudanese nationals, mostly businessmen, and the looting of businesses. In response, the government blocked access to Facebook and TikTok.
In a directive to internet providers, the National Communications Authority (NCA) lifted the ban on social media platforms, effective from midnight, stating that the primary objective for which it was imposed had been achieved.
“Following our directives issued on Wednesday, January 22nd, 2025, regarding the blockage of Facebook and TikTok in the Republic of South Sudan, we are pleased to report that the primary objective of removing graphic and inflammatory content has been successfully achieved,” he said.
“As a result of this achievement, the NCA hereby announces the lifting of the blockage of Facebook and TikTok, effective today at 00:00 hours, January 27th, 2025,” said NCA Director General Napoleon Adok Gai in the document addressed to Internet providers.
He appreciated the cooperation of internet providers in helping the Authority fulfill its mandate.
“In conjunction with this decision, we urge all our licensees with cache servers of Facebook and Tik Tok being hosted in South Sudan to actively participate in monitoring these social media platforms and to assist in reporting inflammatory and graphic content that should be pulled down by the social media platform operators (Meta and Tik Tok),” he said.
Gai said the rise of violence linked to social media content in South Sudan underscores the need for a balanced approach that addresses the root causes of online incitement while protecting the rights of the population.
“By lifting of this blockage of Facebook and TikTok operations, they wish to foster a safer digital environment and promote peace and stability the country. The authority will be reaching out for consolidated approach to avoid shutdowns,” he added.
Local mobile operators, including Zain, MTN, and Gemtel, confirmed they had received the government directive and had lifted the block, which had drawn strong criticism from local and international rights groups.
The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) in a statement yesterday called on the government authorities to reverse the social media ban and ensure that the public has open and reliable internet access, saying social media was essential for news gathering amid unrest in the country.
“Blocking social media access is a blanket act of censorship and a disproportionate response to unrest that makes it difficult for journalists to do their jobs and robs the public of the diverse sources of news. South Sudanese authorities should immediately lift this social media suspension,” the press release quoted the CPJ Africa Program Coordinator, Muthoki Mumo, as saying.
Kenya Insights allows guest blogging, if you want to be published on Kenya’s most authoritative and accurate blog, have an expose, news TIPS, story angles, human interest stories, drop us an email on [email protected] or via Telegram
-
Grapevine6 days agoAlleged Male Lover Claims His Life Is in Danger, Leaks Screenshots and Private Videos Linking SportPesa CEO Ronald Karauri
-
Lifestyle1 week agoThe General’s Fall: From Barracks To Bankruptcy As Illness Ravages Karangi’s Memory And Empire
-
Grapevine2 days agoRussian Man’s Secret Sex Recordings Ignite Fury as Questions Mount Over Consent and Easy Pick-Ups in Nairobi
-
Investigations2 weeks agoEpstein Files: Sultan bin Sulayem Bragged on His Closeness to President Uhuru Then His Firm DP World Controversially Won Port Construction in Kenya, Tanzania
-
News2 weeks agoAUDIT EXPOSES INEQUALITY IN STAREHE SCHOOLS: PARENTS BLED DRY AS FEES HIT Sh300,000 AGAINST Sh67,244 CAP
-
Business2 weeks agoKRA Can Now Tax Unexplained Bank Deposits
-
Investigations1 week agoEpstein’s Girlfriend Ghislaine Maxwell Frequently Visited Kenya As Files Reveal Local Secret Links With The Underage Sex Trafficking Ring
-
News1 week agoState Agency Exposes Five Top Names Linked To Poor Building Approvals In Nairobi, Recommends Dismissal After City Hall Probe
