Africa
Kagame Dismisses Reports Suggesting That Rwanda Is Support M23 Rebels
Angola had been mediating talks between Congolese President Felix Tshisekedi and his Rwandan counterpart Paul Kagame until they broke down in December
Rwandan President Paul Kagame dismissed reports claiming that his country supports the M23 rebel group, which recently seized key towns in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo.
Kagame told reporters in the capital Kigali on Thursday that Rwanda has nothing to do with the rebel group and it does not make sense to blame Rwanda for the conflict in the DR Congo.
“These leaders of M23 and the majority of their fighters came from Uganda, where they had been refugees,” he said, adding that M23 rebels are not Rwandans but speak the Rwandan language, Kinyarwanda.
Kinshasa accuses Kigali of supporting the M23 rebels, a claim that Kagame has frequently denied.
A recent report by the United Nations Group of Experts claimed that Rwandan forces were helping the rebels in DR Congo.
Kagame said M23 fighters are Congolese, and even the past and present leaders admit it.
‘‘Why do we have over 100,000 refugees here in Rwanda originating for eastern Congo?” he said.
He said the Rwandan government disarmed M23 fighters who crossed into Rwanda in 2012-13 and gave back their arms to the authorities in DR Congo.
Kagame urged Congolese authorities to address the root causes of the conflict and negotiate with the rebel group to find a solution to end it.
Angolan President Joao Lourenco had been mediating between Tshisekedi and Kagame, but talks hit a deadlock last month.
Kenya Insights allows guest blogging, if you want to be published on Kenya’s most authoritative and accurate blog, have an expose, news TIPS, story angles, human interest stories, drop us an email on [email protected] or via Telegram
-
News5 days agoWhy Ruto’s Favourite Candidate Adan Mohammed Could Be Locked Out of the KRA Top Job
-
Business1 week agoThe Rot Inside Absa: How Bank Insiders Are Looting Nairobi’s Customers
-
Business1 week agoThe President’s Helicopter: How Ruto’s Aviation Empire Lands a Historic Airbus Milestone While His Government Writes the Tax Code
-
Business5 days agoCourt Confirms Safaricom Customers Data Was Sold To Betting Companies In Seven-Year Cover-Up
-
Arts & Culture1 week ago“TikTok Who? YouTube Sorry. A Kenyan-Built Platform Just Dropped—and 20 African Ministers Showed Up To Launch It.”
-
Business5 days agoPaybill 585555: How Airtel Kenya’s Interoperability Gateway Became A Criminal Pipeline Draining Millions From Unsuspecting M-Pesa Users
-
Business4 days agoBlocked: How Mombasa Tycoon Ashok Doshi Has Stopped Imperial Bank Depositors From Getting Their Money
-
News1 week agoThe Man Who Starved Kenya’s Voice
