News
Conor McGregor Sexually Assaulted Woman, Jury Finds
A woman who accused Conor McGregor of raping her has won her claim against him for damages in a civil case.
A jury found that the Irish mixed martial arts fighter assaulted Nikita Hand in a Dublin hotel in December 2018.
He has been ordered to pay her more than €248,000 (£206,000) in damages.
The jury at the High Court in Dublin had been deliberating since Thursday afternoon before returning its verdict that McGregor did assault Ms Hand.
The woman had also taken a case against another man, James Lawrence, 35, of Rafter’s Road, Drimnagh in Dublin.
She alleged that Mr Lawrence assaulted her by having sex with her without her consent in the Beacon Hotel.
The jury found that he did not assault her.
Speaking outside the court on Friday afternoon, Ms Hand said she was “overwhelmed and touched” by the support she had received.
“I want to show [my daughter] Freya and every other young girl and boy that you can stand up for yourself if something happens to you, no matter who the person is, and that justice will be served.”
Offering a message to “all the victims of sexual assault”, she said her story was “a reminder that no matter how afraid you might be to speak up, you have a voice”.
Both men had denied the claims by the 35-year-old hair colourist and said they separately had consensual sex with Ms Hand at the hotel almost six years ago.
Before being sent out to consider their verdicts yesterday afternoon, the judge Mr Justice Alex Owens reminded the jury that the onus of proof was on the plaintiff.
He also explained that the standard of proof was on the balance of probabilities – more probable than not.
Kenya Insights allows guest blogging, if you want to be published on Kenya’s most authoritative and accurate blog, have an expose, news TIPS, story angles, human interest stories, drop us an email on [email protected] or via Telegram
-
News4 days agoKenyan Driver Hospitalized After Dubai Assault for Rejecting Gay Advances, Passport Seized as Authorities Remain Silent
-
Business1 week agoKakuzi Investors Face Massive Loss as Land Commission Drops Bombshell Order to Surrender Quarter of Productive Estate
-
Investigations2 weeks agoINSIDER LEAK REVEALS ROT AT KWS TOP EXECUTIVES
-
Business4 days agoConstruction Of Stalled Yaya Center Block Resumes After More Than 3 Decades and The Concrete Story Behind It
-
Investigations1 week agoCNN Reveals Massive Killings, Secret Graves In Tanzania and Coverup By the Govt
-
Business1 week agoBANKS BETRAYAL: How Equity Bank Allegedly Helped Thieves Loot Sh10 Million From Family’s Savings in Lightning Fast Court Scam
-
Investigations6 days agoHow Somali Money From Minnesota Fraud Ended In Funding Nairobi Real Estate Boom, Al Shabaab Attracting Trump’s Wrath
-
News2 weeks agoEXPOSED: How Tycoon Munga, State Officials, Chinese Firm Stalled A Sh3.9 Trillion Coal Treasure In Kitui
