Investigations
Representatives Of Chinese Firm Nabbed With Sh27M Bribe They Offered Anti-Graft Agency To Sway Probe
Two Chinese men have been arrested in Nigeria over alleged bribery to sway a probe of a Chinese firm, local media reported on Tuesday.
According to the Daily Post, the Chinese nationals offered 100 million naira (about $250,000) to an official of Nigeria’s anti-corruption agency, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
The report identified the men as Meng Wei Kun and Xu Kuoi, representatives of China Zhonghao Nigeria Limited, a civil engineering company registered in Nigeria.
The company was awarded massive contracts worth 50 billion naira (around $125 million) by the government of Nigeria’s Zamfara state from 2012 to 2019, according to the report.
In a statement, the EFCC said it was “investigating the company in connection with the execution of contracts for the construction of township roads … and also solar-powered boreholes.”
The two men allegedly offered money to EFCC official Adullahi Lawal, who “played along” as part of a “grand design to trap the corrupt officials,” said the statement.
The Chinese nationals were arrested on Monday when they met Lawal to hand over 50 million naira (about $125,000) as the “first installment” of the bribe to “bury” the investigation, said the EFCC.
‘Fraudulent practices’
Earlier in April, China Zhonghao Nigeria Limited was debarred by the African Development Bank (AfDB) for 18 months “for fraudulent practices.”
An investigation by the AfDB anti-corruption unit found the company guilty of “fraudulent misrepresentations of its year of incorporation, the value of its reference contracts, and the experience of its key personnel.”
The misconduct was uncovered when the company bid for two tenders under the AfDB-financed Urban Water Supply and Sanitation Improvement Project in Nigeria.
“The debarment renders China Zhonghao Nigeria Limited and its affiliates ineligible to participate in Bank-financed projects during the debarment period,” the AfDB said in a statement on April 20.
“The debarment qualifies for cross-debarment by other multilateral development banks under the Agreement for Mutual Enforcement of Debarment Decisions, including the Asian Development Bank, the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, the Inter-American Development Bank and the World Bank Group.”
Kenya Insights allows guest blogging, if you want to be published on Kenya’s most authoritative and accurate blog, have an expose, news TIPS, story angles, human interest stories, drop us an email on [email protected] or via Telegram
-
Grapevine1 week agoAlleged Male Lover Claims His Life Is in Danger, Leaks Screenshots and Private Videos Linking SportPesa CEO Ronald Karauri
-
Lifestyle2 weeks agoThe General’s Fall: From Barracks To Bankruptcy As Illness Ravages Karangi’s Memory And Empire
-
Grapevine6 days agoRussian Man’s Secret Sex Recordings Ignite Fury as Questions Mount Over Consent and Easy Pick-Ups in Nairobi
-
Investigations3 days agoMulti-Million Dollar Fraud: Three Kenyans Face US Extradition in Massive Cybercrime Conspiracy
-
Investigations2 weeks agoEpstein’s Girlfriend Ghislaine Maxwell Frequently Visited Kenya As Files Reveal Local Secret Links With The Underage Sex Trafficking Ring
-
News2 weeks agoState Agency Exposes Five Top Names Linked To Poor Building Approvals In Nairobi, Recommends Dismissal After City Hall Probe
-
Economy2 days agoIran Demands Arrest, Prosecution Of Kenya’s Cup of Joe Director Director Over Sh2.6 Billion Tea Fraud
-
Business1 week agoM-Gas Pursues Carbon Credit Billions as Koko Networks Wreckage Exposes Market’s Dark Underbelly

