Africa
Trump Threatens Military Action In Nigeria Over Killing Of Christians
The warning of possible military action came after Nigeria’s President Bola Ahmed Tinubu earlier on Saturday pushed back on Mr Trump for designating the West African country “a country of particular concern” for allegedly failing to rein in the persecution of Christians.
US President Donald Trump has ordered the Pentagon to begin planning for potential military action in Nigeria as he steps up his criticism that the government is failing to rein in the persecution of Christians.
“If the Nigerian government continues to allow the killing of Christians, the USA will immediately stop all aid and assistance to Nigeria, and may very well go into that now disgraced country, ‘guns-a-blazing’, to completely wipe out the Islamic terrorists who are committing these horrible atrocities,” Mr Trump posted on social media.
“I am hereby instructing our Department of War to prepare for possible action. If we attack, it will be fast, vicious, and sweet, just like the terrorist thugs attack our cherished Christians!”

Bola Ahmed Tinubu says Nigeria opposes religious persecution and does not encourage it. (AP: Olamikan Gbemiga)
The warning of possible military action came after Nigeria’s President Bola Ahmed Tinubu earlier on Saturday pushed back on Mr Trump for designating the West African country “a country of particular concern” for allegedly failing to rein in the persecution of Christians.
In a social media statement on Saturday, Mr Tinubu said the characterisation of Nigeria as a religiously intolerant country did not reflect the national reality.
“Religious freedom and tolerance have been a core tenet of our collective identity and shall always remain so,” Mr Tinubu said.
“Nigeria opposes religious persecution and does not encourage it. Nigeria is a country with constitutional guarantees to protect citizens of all faiths.”
Mr Trump on Friday said Christianity was “facing an existential threat in Nigeria” and “radical Islamists” were “responsible for this mass slaughter”.
Mr Trump’s comment came weeks after US Senator Ted Cruz urged Congress to designate Africa’s most populous country as a violator of religious freedom with claims of “Christian mass murder”.
Nigeria’s population of 220 million is split almost equally between Christians and Muslims.
The country has long faced insecurity from various fronts including the Boko Haram extremist group, which seeks to establish its radical interpretation of Islamic law and has also targeted Muslims it deems not Muslim enough.
Attacks in Nigeria have varying motives. There are religiously motivated ones targeting both Christians and Muslims, clashes between farmers and herders over dwindling resources, communal rivalries, secessionist groups and ethnic clashes.
While Christians are among those targeted, analysts say the majority of victims of armed groups are Muslims in Nigeria’s Muslim-majority north, where most attacks occur.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson Kimiebi Ebienfa reiterated the commitment of Nigeria to protect citizens of all religions.
“The federal government of Nigeria will continue to defend all citizens, irrespective of race, creed, or religion,” Ebienfa said in a statement on Saturday.
“Like America, Nigeria has no option but to celebrate the diversity that is our greatest strength.”
Nigeria was placed on the country of particular concern list by the US for the first time in 2020 over what the State Department called “systematic violations of religious freedom”.
The designation, which did not single out attacks on Christians, was lifted in 2023 in what observers saw as a way to improve ties between the countries ahead of then-Secretary of State Antony Blinken’s visit.
AP
Kenya Insights allows guest blogging, if you want to be published on Kenya’s most authoritative and accurate blog, have an expose, news TIPS, story angles, human interest stories, drop us an email on [email protected] or via Telegram
-
Grapevine1 week agoAlleged Male Lover Claims His Life Is in Danger, Leaks Screenshots and Private Videos Linking SportPesa CEO Ronald Karauri
-
Lifestyle2 weeks agoThe General’s Fall: From Barracks To Bankruptcy As Illness Ravages Karangi’s Memory And Empire
-
Grapevine6 days agoRussian Man’s Secret Sex Recordings Ignite Fury as Questions Mount Over Consent and Easy Pick-Ups in Nairobi
-
Investigations3 days agoMulti-Million Dollar Fraud: Three Kenyans Face US Extradition in Massive Cybercrime Conspiracy
-
Investigations2 weeks agoEpstein’s Girlfriend Ghislaine Maxwell Frequently Visited Kenya As Files Reveal Local Secret Links With The Underage Sex Trafficking Ring
-
News2 weeks agoState Agency Exposes Five Top Names Linked To Poor Building Approvals In Nairobi, Recommends Dismissal After City Hall Probe
-
Economy2 days agoIran Demands Arrest, Prosecution Of Kenya’s Cup of Joe Director Director Over Sh2.6 Billion Tea Fraud
-
Business1 week agoM-Gas Pursues Carbon Credit Billions as Koko Networks Wreckage Exposes Market’s Dark Underbelly
