Investigations
Senior Lawyer Pokes Holes in Gen Ogolla’s Chopper Crash Report
Senior lawyer Paul Muite has cast doubt on the official report into the April 18, 2024, helicopter crash that killed Chief of Defence Forces General Francis Ogolla and nine other military personnel, accusing the government of delivering a vague and inadequate investigation.
The Ministry of Defence’s report, released on April 11, 2025, attributed the crash to engine failure, but Muite’s sharp critique has reignited public and political demands for transparency.
Muite argues that the report failed to address critical questions about the cause of the engine malfunction, including the helicopter’s maintenance history to rule out deliberate interference.
“Given the trust deficit in the regime in power and suspicions, full details of what caused the engine failure, including servicing to exclude deliberate interference, is what people were expecting,” Muite said.
He also questioned the investigation’s credibility, asking, “Was there an experienced investigator who pulled out?”
The crash, involving a Kenya Air Force Huey helicopter in West Pokot, has been mired in controversy since it claimed the lives of one of Kenya’s most senior military leaders.
The Ministry of Defence, led by Cabinet Secretary Soipan Tuya, presented the report to President William Ruto, asserting that engine failure was the sole cause, dismissing weather or crew errors.
However, Muite’s remarks echo broader skepticism, with many Kenyans questioning whether the truth is being hidden.
Muite drew parallels to past government inquiries, notably the Saitoti Commission, which probed the 2012 plane crash that killed then-Interior Minister George Saitoti.
“Governments employ Commissions of Inquiry to ‘buy time’ so that public anger subsides, plus appointing subservient commissioners—more often than not, a strategy for covering up the truth,” he said, adding, “Is there anyone who trusts Saitoti Commission findings?”
Adding fuel to the debate, the report revealed that the helicopter’s engine was replaced in December 2023, raising questions about undetected faults.
An ancuatio expert suggested maintenance lapses, stating, “There seemed to be a peculiar issue with this engine that the investigation team might not have fully understood.”
Political leaders have also weighed in. The Azimio coalition previously called for a hybrid investigation involving civilian oversight, while Siaya Senator Oburu Odinga urged a thorough probe to quell speculation. These demands underscore a deep-seated distrust in military-led inquiries, particularly for such a high-profile tragedy.
Kenya Insights allows guest blogging, if you want to be published on Kenya’s most authoritative and accurate blog, have an expose, news TIPS, story angles, human interest stories, drop us an email on [email protected] or via Telegram
-
Grapevine6 days agoAlleged Male Lover Claims His Life Is in Danger, Leaks Screenshots and Private Videos Linking SportPesa CEO Ronald Karauri
-
Lifestyle1 week agoThe General’s Fall: From Barracks To Bankruptcy As Illness Ravages Karangi’s Memory And Empire
-
Grapevine2 days agoRussian Man’s Secret Sex Recordings Ignite Fury as Questions Mount Over Consent and Easy Pick-Ups in Nairobi
-
Investigations2 weeks agoEpstein Files: Sultan bin Sulayem Bragged on His Closeness to President Uhuru Then His Firm DP World Controversially Won Port Construction in Kenya, Tanzania
-
News2 weeks agoAUDIT EXPOSES INEQUALITY IN STAREHE SCHOOLS: PARENTS BLED DRY AS FEES HIT Sh300,000 AGAINST Sh67,244 CAP
-
Business2 weeks agoKRA Can Now Tax Unexplained Bank Deposits
-
Investigations1 week agoEpstein’s Girlfriend Ghislaine Maxwell Frequently Visited Kenya As Files Reveal Local Secret Links With The Underage Sex Trafficking Ring
-
News1 week agoState Agency Exposes Five Top Names Linked To Poor Building Approvals In Nairobi, Recommends Dismissal After City Hall Probe
